Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I'm single-handedly suppressing our economy

The media storm surrounding this world-wide economic problem has really thrown me into a tizzy. That's right, I said it- a tizzy. I mean, on the one had we have financial advisors reprimanding banking institutions (and indirectly, the public) for their overzealous mortgage approval rates. We've all been spending, spending, spending, and the credit companies of the world have been fueling the fire. Ok, so we should be less spend-crazy. I get that. On the other hand, expert economists tell us that the people have lost faith in the capitalist process. It's going to take time for people to feel comfortable enough to re-invest in our economic future, and to buy houses and cars and big-screen TVs. The problem won't fix itself until we spend more. Well, OK... that makes sense, too, but trying to spend more while financing less puts me in a bit of a mind-poop.

Financially, I'm a conservative guy. I haven't always been, but I'd like to say that I've been on the straight and narrow the last five or so years. Nothing goes on a credit card- ever. The wife and I spend $12 a day on food and household supplies. My wife's car is 10 years old, and I plan to keep my own car that long. We never go out to eat. Picking up Taco Bell for dinner is a real treat for us. We don't buy DVDs, share matching iPods or carry crackberries with uber-cellular service. As far as consumers rate, we suck pretty bad. Am I suppressing the economy? I could easily afford a big-screen TV and the finance charges that come with it. I could buy that 2009 Challenger that looks really cool, or finally get a laptop that doesn't suck total butt. But I'm saving my money, and I feel bad about that. Other people need my money, and I'm not sharing. So yeah, it's my fault.... sorry guys.

Sometimes, however- when I'm feeling really bad about the whole thing- I sneak over to Starbucks and buy a tall latte.

-Sailor Matt

7 comments:

marky said...

I'm right there with you on the whole credit card thing. I've never owned one, and I've got no interest in getting one.

If the credit crunch continues, I suggest we all get together and buy some land, and build our own utopian society.

We could even call it Mattopia!

What do ya think?

Sailor Matt said...

I'm with you on that. I actually dream of the day I have zero debt, own my property, grow all my own produce in a year-round greenhouse, harness my own energy and collect my own water. Totally off the grid, man. I think we need Logankstewart's environmental engineering skillz on this one.

Sailor Matt said...

on micro-nations...

http://integrity-legal.com/legal-blog/weird-law/start_your_own_country/

Sedulo said...

Wooohooo! May I live in Mattopia?

I've got mad skills!

Sailor Matt said...

Of course! Anyone with mad skillz can live in Mattopia. That's what we're all about. And since you're one of the first ten people to sign up, you don't have to go through "The Initiation."

logankstewart said...

I just realized that I completely missed this post somehow. And that is unfortunate. Mattopia sounds like a great idea to me.

But Starbucks? Ack. As first order of Environmental Chief, I'll ban Starbucks and replace it with our own micro-roasting-brewery-joint.

Sailor Matt said...

I love it! The coffee beans we grow will be genetically crossed with ginseng for that extra little kick.