Sunday, April 5, 2009

Firefly, etc.

I've owned the TV series Firefly for well over a year now, having purchased it with a Target gift card I received for Christmas in 2007, and until now I still hadn't watched it. I knew all the chatter- I heard all about how it's one of the greatest science fiction television shows ever created, but still I procrastinated (take note, Mr. Logan). One major issue is that I don't like to just throw on a show in the afternoon. I need to set the mood, to create an experience out of it. It's almost like I'm taking the show out on a date. There usually needs to be food, hopefully a desert included, and preferably some alcohol as well (I love my craft beers). If I don't take the time to make this viewing an actual 'event', I feel like I'm just turning it on because I have nothing else to do, which makes me feel like I'm wasting my time, which I utterly hate. HATE. HATE!

So, I never got around to watching Firefly, specifically because my prime TV-watching time is in the evening with my wife, and she would never ever ever want to watch a silly sci-fi show like Firefly (she actually tells me this)- although, for some reason, she enjoys Heroes and Lost. Go figure. An interesting thing, though... her cousin told her a while back that she thinks she'd probably like the show because it's not your typical sci-fi/Star Trek-ish kind of stuff. So, my wife finally agrees to watch Firefly with me. Additionally, this coincides with our 'pizza night', which is an extra, doubley awesome bonus! You see, every Saturday night the wife and I spend time together making a homemade pizza, and since nothing good is ever on TV on Saturday evenings, we usually watch TV series DVD's: We've seen the first two seasons of Rome (which are phenomenal) and the first two seasons of Eureka, and now we're watching Firefly. Somebody pinch me, I think I'm dreaming!

Sadly, we're creeping up on the end of Firefly, with only two episodes left. We usually catch two episodes a night, so we've got next week covered. Then we have the movie Serenity, which will cover the week after that. Which TV series will the wife and I pick up next? We both really like Big Love, so that may be a possibility, and her brother definitely recommends Deadwood, so we might try that. True Blood is definitely on the list, but I'm not sure if season one is out yet...

Anyway, there you have it- another little glipse into my quaint life. Take care, friends!

-Sailor Matt

5 comments:

logankstewart said...

If you want my recommendation, I would definitely say "Arrested Development." While not a serious show, it is superbly funny, and my wife and I enjoy it tremendously. And, there are only three seasons to complete the series, but it'll be the funniest three seasons you'll ever watch.

wv: spent. Wow, I can't believe it. A real word!

Captain Joe said...

How are you on crime dramas, my good man?

I'm a fan of the show Criminal Minds. It's utterly fantastic, and fairly accurate in how the crimes are solved using behavioural analysis. My lecturer at uni said I could pass Offender Profiling just by watching this show.

He was right.

The characters are amazing. It's ot sci-fi or anything, which makes it doubly amazing in my book. I usually don't watch anything except sci-fi!

Just a suggestion,

Joe

Sailor Matt said...

@ logankstewart: I've never seen Arrested Development, but I've heard that it's really funny. I just might have to add that to the list.

@ Cap'n Joe: My wife LOVES crime dramas. She's addicted to Law and Order: SVU and the new favorite is Castle. she actually wants to go to college and pursue a forensics degree. We may have to check out Criminal Minds.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

marky said...

Ahhhhh, Firefly. What an amazing show. I hate when shows like that get cancelled. They never give them enough time to develop these days. My favourite show at the moment, apart from Heroes and Lost, is The Mentalist. An absolute cracker of a show.

Sailor Matt said...

Never seen The Mentalist, but I'm very intrigued by the concept. Lost and Heroes, of course, are amazing (except that Heroes sucks). I may have to give The Mentalist a try!