Sunday, December 14, 2008

Getting Back Into the Groove

The last few weeks have been just crazy. Not crazy in a busy way, but crazy in a I-don't-have-a-routine-and-my-world's-completely-upside-down sort of way. Our furniture arrived without complication, and was actually a day early. It was a long week trying to find a spot for everything, and there's still a few things laying out, but our place is probably now more organized than our old apartment was. One major setback is the fact that my wife HATES the living room setup. Here's what we're looking at:


To set the scene: I'm standing in the dining area as I take this picture, and there's a narrow path on the right between the couch and the wall to get to a small foyer and the front door. The couch is as close to the fireplace as we dare get it, and the kitchen is on the left. The door you see leads to the back patio.

Anyway, my wife says that the fireplace ruins the room. Ideally, the couch would go on that wall, and the TV would go up against the kitchen wall on the left. We can't put the couch against the kitchen wall facing the TV and fireplace for fear of something spilling on the kitchen counter and pouring onto the couch. The way we have our couch now kind of makes the room smaller (by way of the little path we have to leave to the foyer).

My solution was to buy a giant plasma TV to mount over the fireplace. It wouldn't help the room arrangement any, but we'd be happy we had a plasma TV. My wife reminded me that I don't yet have a job, and suggested I think more economically.

On the plus side of things, my wife's making upwards of $50 a week selling crocheted baby booties on the internet, so technically we DO have some money coming in. Maybe I should learn how to crochet.

-Sailor Matt

5 comments:

Captain Joe said...

That's a pretty sweet living room set-up. Everything that's needed is there - namely couch and TV.

Ah, but come the cold winter months one would be glad of such a convinient fireplace, I bet. Has that side of the coin been examined?

Good to see you back in action, Matt. All the best,

Joe (who knows feng shui)

Sailor Matt said...

We're in the throws of a Texas winter right now... Today's high was 76 degrees F. Sadly, I have yet to set the mood with a warm, crackling fire in the place. Oddly enough, tomorrow's high is supposed to be 36 degrees, so I may get to try it out.

I hope the couch isn't too close. That's my side...

Anonymous said...

We solved the problem of too big a couch and no long wall for it. Our solution was to sell the couch and buy three comfortable chairs--one a reliner for my husband--which we could move around any way we wanted. Another solution would be one of those loveseats with the built-in reclining seats and another chair or two. As you can tell, my husband loves those recliners.
Glad you're settled before the holidays!
Ancient Reader

marky said...

I've only got one thing to say to you.......BEANBAGS!
It's the only way to go dude.

Oh, and check you. Dining room indeed. Bah!

Sailor Matt said...

@marky: our "dining area" is only so in name. We eat all our meals as they should be eaten: at the couch, watching TV. The "dining area" is home to our elliptical and our computers, a table for each of us. It's really more of the "office and unused workout equipment" area.

@ancient reader: Sadly, the couch is my wife's most prized possession. I only hope the time never comes that she has to choose between us.